Friday, February 22, 2013

Things I HOPE I'm teaching my children (that my parents never taught me...) Part 1

1. To Love God:

My parents raised me to be a 'good person' and there is nothing at all wrong with that. But by whose standards do you judge a persons 'goodness'. A person who robs people for a living might think he's a good person or 'not that bad' because he doesn't kill the people he robs... 

To judge 'goodness' you need an unchanging set of standards & that is what God gives us in the Bible. The behavioural guidelines He sets out for us do not change with the times & are not influenced by fads. They are as basic & relevant today as they were 2000 years ago. Another part of that is a concept even some Christians grapple to understand; He will not 'ask you' to do something He has laid out quite clearly in His (s)Word as unacceptable. For example: God told me to leave my wife...

Having a relationship with Jesus & having Gods word to turn to gives my children an unchanging foundation they can rely on & they've been raise on the understanding that God can forgive you anything if you approach him with a repentant heart. I didn't have that. Something bad happened to me as a teenager & I thought that was the end of my 'goodness' and I believed I had no way to come back from that.

My children have a personal relationship with a loving parent & father who will be there for them life long, after I am gone :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment