Sunday, November 24, 2013

Cakes to Celebrate Love & Life!


I don't buy recipe books much anymore, preferring to make my own out of recipes I gather from online &  store in easy wipe clean display folders, but whenever I go to Target I can't resist checking the shelves hoping to scan a bargain...and it does happen!


This book was on the shelf for $45 but scanned at only $5! So of course I grabbed 3; one for myself, one for my SIL & one for a volunteer baker at the shop we ran.

Today's recipe I'm sharing is from this book with a bit of my own tweaking.

CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES

2 cups castor sugar
1 3/4 cups plain flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder 
1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp of salt
2 eggs at room temp
1 cup of milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil 
2 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup of boiling water

Preheat oven to 180 degrees
Prepare two 12 cup muffin trays with paper cases.

In the bowl of an electric mixer mix together all the dry ingredients.

In a bowl or large plastic measuring jug mix together all the wet ingredients EXCEPT the boiling water.

Add the wet ingredients (minus the boiling water) to the dry ingredients and beat on a medium speed for two minutes.

Stir in boiling water - the batter should be very runny.

Use a ladle to pour batter equally amongst the paper cups.

Bake for 10-12 minutes.

Leave to cool completely before icing.


CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM ICING

125 grams butter softened
2/3 cup cocoa powder *
2 1/2 cups icing sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla essence

With an electric mixer beat butter & cocoa on a low speed.

Adding a little of each at a time, add the icing sugar & milk. Beat on a medium speed until it is smooth & is of a spreadable consistency.

* I added extra cocoa powder at this stage as my icing was much much paler than the icing in the picture for the original recipe, where as the cupcake itself had come out just as dark as the picture.

Finally add vanilla.


The plastic ring on my icing gun that holds my large 1M tip broke as I went to ice these so I had to make do with a smaller tip :-/

This is a very rich, moist & fluffy cupcake.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment