Sunday, April 6, 2014

Polka Dot Cake

My photos of the Cupcake/Polka Dot Cake on Facebook have generated a lot of interest. 



I don't take the credit for inventing this cake; full credit goes to those who nutted it out & then shared the details online & on Pinterest.

But I will happily share the basics with you :-) I apologise in advance though, usually I take lots of pictures as I go along but yesterday I didn't :-/

I have a standard golden butter cake recipe that I use for most birthday cakes. The recipe comes from The Australian Women's Weekly Celebration Cakes. For the purpose of wedding cakes and such it has a very handy table that increases the ingredients in relation to the chosen size of cake pan.

As I was making 2 19cm rounds & the small Wilton cupcake PLUS the coloured balls I used the quantities for a 24cm square cake & doubled it.

I made it all in one batch but it was quite a lot of batter so if I was making the same cake again I would make one batter per mixer (I have Big Bertha & Little Bertha; both Kenwoods).



I have a cake pop/ball tin that I purchased from Spotlight last year. I believe they also sell them at Target. It cost around $28.  

Once the batter was made I placed one ladle of batter each in four separate bowls. These were for my colours. I chose to have four different coloured cake balls; really you can have as many as you can be bothered to make. 



Once my batter was coloured I put teaspoons of it in the well greased cake pop tin, following the manufacturers instructions at this point. I did a colour per row but once again, your choice.

The secret with the cake balls & the polka dot cake is you don't cook the cake balls for the same length of time that you would if you were making cake pops. 10-12 mins at 180 degrees TOPS. They will be very soft but they need to be quite undercooked otherwise they get overcooked & dry; they are essentially twice cooked cake balls.

At this stage I also put batter in the greased small (giant) cupcake cake mould & put it in the oven.

10-12 mins later get your cake balls out of the oven. The balls will continue cooking in the cake pop mould so as soon as you can, without burning yourself, use a knife to gently pop them out & onto a rack to cool.

I ended up doing two batches of cake balls (I had to colour more batter). To have more polka dots I could have done a 3rd batch but time was kind of marching on for me so I moved on. By then my cupcake was out also. It was about 20-25 mins. 

In my two round (greased & papered) cake pans I placed enough of my remaining batter to cover the base. Then I arranged the cake balls in the batter how I wanted. I squished in as many as I could in one layer. If I had've done a 3rd batch this is where I would've placed a second layer of cake balls in each round tin.

Then you fill up the round tins with the remaining batter, being sure to cover the   cake balls with batter, and leave enough room at the top of the tin for the cakes to rise. I had enough batter left over to make a small low loaf cake, which is what I could've made a 3rd batch of cake balls with.



I checked the cooking time in my book for a 19cm cake tin of the golden butter cake. It was 1hr 25 mins or until golden.

And aside from icing, that's it as far as the polka dot cake is concerned! 



The colour combinations of cake balls & cake batter & icing is only limited by your imagination & time available. 

And even though icing a cake is hard work, the toughest part was waiting until the birthday girl could cut it, so I could see how it turned out on the inside :-)






No comments:

Post a Comment