Saturday, February 21, 2015

Miss Evie Turns 1!

Hard to believe it has been a year already but yes, the little girl whose black & white birth shots were shared on this very blog has turned the big ONE!


Her mum had asked me if I could make a leopard print cake and so I Googled and YouTubed it and it seemed easy enough that I thought a test run wouldn't be necessary....well....I've learnt a valuable lesson there.


This is the original pic I was given.





This is how my cake turned out....






I know what you're thinking...its a Pinterest "totally nailed it" moment. Its okay to laugh.... :-/

Anyway the cake still turned out pretty tasty thanks to my tried and true Golden Butter Cake recipe which is from The Australian Womens Weekly Celebration Cakes Cookbook.  In the back section of this cook book there is a selection of classic cake recipes eg chocolate mud, golden butter, fruit cake, and accompanying these recipes is a table giving you the required ingredients and cooking time for each cake tin size.

For a 30 cm round cake;

625 grams of butter
1Tbs vanilla essence
3 3/4 cups of caster sugar (although I only used 2 1/3 cups as I knew my icing was going to be sweet and didn't want the cake too sweet as well.
10 eggs
7 1/2 cups of self raising flour
2 1/2 cups of milk

1.Grease and line the base and sides of your chosen size of cake pan.
2.Beat butter, essence and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Stir in the sifted flour and milk. Spread the mixture into prepared pan.*

Bake in a moderate oven (180 degrees) for 1 3/4 hours.  When my cake had risen until it was at an even height still across the top, approx 15 mins, I decreased my temperature to 160 degrees celsius.

*At this point I separated the batter amongst 3 bowls, 2 to be dyed.  I was a bit iffy on the quantities needed for each part except knowing that I needed the most 'yellow' as in uncoloured batter.  The way the cake turned out I think I put too much aside for the coloured stripes of the leopard pattern.



The link to the tutorial I used can be found here.

I knew straight away I didn't have enough yellow batter and so was going to be short on stripes, as I had nothing to cover them with. I could have made another batch of batter but time was ticking on and I just needed to get the cake done so I made the decision to add the rest of the coloured batter on top carefully to make a couple of coloured layers. I didn't know how it would look until we cut into it at the party but everyone said it looked pretty so...that's a win I guess.





At the party I was also asked to share the Marshmallow fondant recipe again. The original recipe that I use can be found here.




Mum & Miss 1 were happy with the cake. Calling it a WIN ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment