Monday, October 12, 2015

Basic Buttermilk Pancakes

For some tasty, light and fluffy pancakes try this recipe.

I had a 1 litre value pack of buttermilk in the fridge and the following recipe used up all but one mouthful :-)


3/4 cup of castor sugar
1 tsp bicarb of soda
3 cups self raising flour
3 3/4 cups of butter milk
3 eggs


Sift flour and bicarb into a bowl

In another bowl beat your eggs gently and add your buttermilk.

Making a well in the flour slowly add your egg/buttermilk mixture to your flour mix, whisking as you go to eliminate lumps.  I had Little Miss 6 hold the bowl for me at this point, to stop it spinning on the bench as I whisked.

When all the ingredients are incorporated and your batter is lump free you are ready to cook!  Careful not to overwork the batter at this stage.  Your batter should look bubbly and airy in the bowl.




To cook my pancakes I used a small frying pan with a 14cm base to make my pancakes a set size, and cooked them one at a time.



One ladle of batter at a time was the perfect amount for the size of my frying pan.

I also prefer to use a tiny amount of butter instead of oil on the base of my frying pan, but be careful how high you set the heat as butter burns.

Let your batter cook in the frying pan until plenty of bubbles appear.  Then flip  carefully and cook the other side just long enough to make sure the batter in the middle is cooked. 



Your pancakes should be visibly fat and fluffy :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment